• Wix Facebook page

Lancaster FM212

The Avro Lancaster was a British four-engined heavy bomber, designed and built by A.V. Roe and Company (Avro) for the Royal Air Force (RAF). It first saw active service with RAF Bomber Command in 1942 and, as the bombing offensive over Europe gathered momentum, it became the main heavy bomber used by the RAF, the RCAF, and squadrons from other Commonwealth and European countries serving within the RAF. The "Lanc", as it was affectionately known, ultimately became the most famous and most successful of the Second World War night bombers.

 

Of the many variants of this versatile aircraft that were used, only the Lancaster B Mark X, manufactured by Victory Aircraft in Malton, Ontario was produced in significant numbers in Canada. A total of 430 of this type were built, differing little from their British-built predecessors, except for using Packard Merlin engines, built in Detroit, and American-style instrumentation and electrics. A total of 7,377 Lancasters of all marks were built throughout the duration of the war, each at a 1943 cost of £45-50,000. Today, only 17 remain in the world and only two of those are currently flying. Ten of the remaining Lancasters are Canadian-built Mark X models.

 

Source: Wikipedia

 

Our Lancaster, FM212, came off the assembly line in Malton shortly after the end of hostilities and never saw combat operations. In 1946, it was taken on charge by the RCAF and was modified for aerial and photo-reconnaissance work. It performed much of the mapping of northern Canada, amassing over 8000 hours of flight time, until 1962 when it was retired from service. It was purchased in 1964 by the City of Windsor and one year later placed on a pedestal in Jackson Park as a memorial to those who served and died during WWII.

 

In 2005, due to structural weakening by time and the elements, it was brought down from its pedestal and, in 2007, it made the journey through the streets of Windsor to No.7 E.F.T.S. where the CH2A is currently restoring it.

 

You can see regular updates on the restoration project at our Lancaster FM212 Restoration Facebook page......

 

 

Below is a chronological timeline in pictures of the life of Lancaster FM212. She is nowhere near the end of her storied career. We thank the many photographers, both amateur and professional, who have, over the years, donated these photographs.

 

(Click on the Start button in the lower right corner of the slideshow window to begin. You may also pause the slideshow at any time.)
 

FM212 runup
FM212_1950
Circa_1950
Goose Bay July 1959
Circa 1960 taking off
On the ramp at Rockcliffe
Circa 1960 at Sea Island BC
On approach to Rockcliffe
Servicing
Port wing  at Dunnville
At Dunnville prior to departure
On barge taking refuge at Erieau
FM212 on barge under Ambassador Bridge_edited
Photo by: John Ulicny
On_Barge_Dieppe_Park
Moved by Moir Cartage
1964 at the waterfront
Dieppe Park 1964
Open to the public
On the move
On Ouellette Ave
Prior to mounting in Jackson Park
Pedestal in foreground
Installed on pedestal
Circa 1973
Getting painted
Lanc post card
Circa 1980s
Nose bubble work 1995
Work in 1996
Sandblasting 1997
Summer visitors
Aerial view Jan 2005
 Jan 2005
Work scene in 2005
 25 May 2005
One of many George Mock photos
Airborn again
May 26, 2005
May 26 Almost down
JU003x
Final landing
June 2005
2005-06-13
Open for business
School tour
Removing the starboard wing
Off she comes
On the move again
Into the shoe box
A new home
For the next 2 years
2007 On the move again
Through the streets of Windsor
Under the expressway
Running the yellow
To Devonshire Mall
Ready for more visitors
All aboard!
On the road again!
To another new home
With a stop at Tim's for coffee
Through the fence
Across the lawn
To the airport
In the quonset
Paint stripped
Stabilizers removed
Tail Section primed
Horizontal_Stabilizer_Before_1
Horizontal_Stabilizer_Before_2
Work in progress
Clecoes in place
Horizontal stabilizers after
Port Vertical Stabilizer Before
Almost done
Starboard vertical stab in progress
Horizontal stabilizers re-installed
Vertical stabilizers re-installed
The work crew!
Gear doors and valances before
In progress
Looking good!
Students at work
Students with 2 completed doors!
Wingtip
Wingtip work in progress
Wingtip on display
completed vertical stabs.jpg
Out for the summer.jpg
Rolling out.jpg
Summer Students 2014.jpg
Sign The Bomber campaign begins.jpg
Sign The Bomber.jpg
Coming into the main hangar.jpg
Almost in.jpg
Inches to spare.jpg
New home.jpg
Our fantastic volunteers.jpg
Co-op students 2014.jpg
Room mates.jpg
Nose.JPG
Nose removal 1.JPG
No paint2.JPG
Ready for paint.JPG

Victory Aircraft Ltd. was a Canadian manufacturing company that, during WWII, built mainly British-designed aircraft under license. It acted as a shadow factory, safe from the reach of German bombers.

The Malton, Ontario plant received a contract on 18 September 1941 to build the Avro Lancaster Mk X heavy bomber. When the first drawings arrived in January 1942, the complexity of the project seemed daunting. Some 500,000 manufacturing operations were involved in manufacturing over 55,000 separate components that went into a Lancaster (excluding engines and turrets and small items such as rivets, nuts and bolts).

A Lancaster Mk I (R5727) from Avro Aircraft (UK) was flown across the Atlantic in August 1942, to act as a "pattern" aircraft for production. Differences between the British Lancasters and the Canadian built versions (known as the Mk X) revolved around engines, instruments and radio equipment being manufactured in Canada or the United States instead of England. The Rolls-Royce Merlin engines were the same design, but manufactured by Packard in the United States. A later series Lancaster Mk X replaced the original Frazer-Nash FN 50 mid-upper turret with a US-made Martin 250CE turret moved to a new location farther back on the upper fuselage due to differences in weight between that unit and the original turret. All major sub-assemblies of the Canadian Lancasters were interchangeable with the British versions so that in the event of damage, spare parts were immediately at hand.

From the first blueprints arriving to the first test flight took only 16 months, an impressive accomplishment, not lost on Avro (UK) management. The Malton work force climbed from 3,300 (1942) to 9,521 in 1944, most of them initially unskilled workers and about a quarter of them women. Almost exactly a year to the day from when the "pattern" aircraft was flown to Canada, the Canadian prototype, (serial number KB700), rolled off the Victory Aircraft assembly line on 1 August 1943. Named the "Ruhr Express," much publicity was made of its christening, first flight and its departure to England.

The first Canadian-built Avro Lancaster setting off for war was an occasion for which the country could be proud.
Eventually, Lancaster production at Victory Aircraft reached the impressive mark of one aircraft per day. After being ferried to England and sent to operational squadrons, the Canadian "Lancs" were assigned to No. 6 Group RAF, the RCAF component of RAF Bomber Command, to complete this "all-Canadian" contribution to the war effort. The Malton plant went on to build, by war's end, a total of 3,629 Avro aircraft: 3,197 Ansons, 430 Mk X Lancasters (including six Lancastrian transport conversions), one Mk XV Lincoln heavy bomber, and a single York transport.

Source:Wikipedia                                                                                                                     Powerpoint presentation: Frank Harvey

Visit

#104 - 2600 Airport Rd

Windsor, Ontario, Canada N8V 1A1

 

MAP

Call

T: 519.966.9742

Contact

info@ch2a.ca

Visiting hours

 

 

© 2014 by

MobileTECH

webadmin@ch2a.ca

 

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Instagram-v051916_200.png
  • advisor-trip-tripadvisor-icon--0.png
One of many George Mock photos